Mangoes originated more than 4,000 years ago in the sub-Himalayan plains. They are without a doubt, among the most eaten fruits around the world. Biologically, a mango is a close relative to other plants like pistachio and cashew nuts. It tastes so good that it has been named as the ‘King of all the fruits’. Mangoes are native to the South Asian countries from where they are distributed worldwide. Mangoes are heavily grown in India and are also known as ‘safeda’ there. There are almost 1,000 varieties of mangoes. Most of us just enjoy eating mangoes and have no clue as to how healthy it is for our health. It has various health benefits that no one really knows about. some of these benefits are:
Mango Lowers cholesterolLevels of vitamin C, pectin and fiber in mangoes help in lowering the serum cholesterol levels especially the Low-Density Lipoprotein.
Mango Prevents cancerThe antioxidant compounds in a mango protect against prostate, leukemia, breast and colon cancers. The compounds include isoquercitrin, quercetin, astragalin, gallic, and methylgallat and fisetin along with abundant enzymes.
Clear Skin With MangoMango can be used externally and internally for the skin. It helps in eliminating the pimples and clears the clogged pores.
Mango Alkalizes Whole BodyThe malic acid, trace of the citric acid and tartaric acid found in mangoes help in maintaining alkali reserves of the body.
Eye Health And MangoesA cup of the sliced mangoes gives 25% of the required daily values of vitamin A. It helps in preventing the dry eyes and night blindness and promotes good eyesight.
Mango Helps In DiabetesThe leaves of mangoes help in normalizing the levels of insulin in blood. You can boil the leaves in water, soak them through the night to consume filtered decoction in morning. Mango also has a low glycemic index so the moderate quantities would not spike the sugar levels.
Mango Boosts Immune SystemGenerous amounts of the vitamin A and vitamin C along with several kinds of carotenoids are found in a mango which keeps your immune system strong and healthy.
Mango Improves DigestionLike papayas, mangoes also have a healthful quality. It contains enzymes for breaking the protein down. The fiber found in mangoes helps in digestion and elimination.
Nutrition In Mangoes By NumbersApproximately 225 gms (one cup) of mango contains the following nutrients. The percentages apply specifically to daily value.
- Vitamin C- 76% (immune booster and antioxidant)
- Vitamin A- 25% (antioxidant)
- Vitamin B6 and other vitamins- 11% (hormone production in the brain and prevention of heart diseases)
- Healthy probiotic fiber- 9%
- Copper- 9% (a co-factor for several important enzymes and production of the red blood cells)
- Potassium- 7% (for balancing out the high sodium intake)
- Magnesium- 4%
- 105 calories
Precautions While Eating Mangoes
- If you have latex allergy, there is a possibility of a reaction while eating mangoes; particularly the green mangoes. The reaction develops due to anacardic acid.
- Mango sap and peel contain urushiol. It is a chemical in posing sumac and poison ivy that can cause allergic reactions in susceptible individuals.
- Some dealers ripen the fruits, particularly mangoes by using calcium carbide. It can cause very serious health problems. If you have an inorganic mango, wash them before you consume them or soak them overnight in water.